Sick kids, math tests, and no sleep...Oh my!

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

It has been a rough few days. My kids have been sick and I had a math test last night (Business Calculus). Lexi got sick on Friday night, although it's off and on. She'll be fine, running around and playing, and then all of a sudden she's got a high fever. On Saturday we decided to go out to breakfast and to AC Moore so I could get some new yarn and start some new projects. By the time we got done with breakfast, she wasn't feeling well but we had already made the trip so we went to the craft store anyway. Big mistake. I took forever trying to decide what I wanted to knit (which I should have done before we went) and she spent the whole time in the cart with her head down while Spencer went running around the store like a maniac. We finally left and went home, and a few hours later her fever had spiked to over 104 degrees. The walk-in clinic had just closed, and there's no way I can afford another trip to the emergency room (I took Spencer there a few weeks ago and the bill is $1000, for an hour and a half!). So I gave her tylenol and prayed it would go down (it did). The next day (Sunday) she was fine but that night her fever went back up. I was up until 1am studying for my stupid test, then right when I got into bed she woke up crying with a fever again. I didn't get to sleep until 4am, then Spencer woke me up at 6:30am. So I got a total of 2 1/2 hours of sleep before my test, which was at 6pm last night. It wasn't too hard, and I think I did alright although I know for a fact I got one wrong.

Anyway, I came home from school, checked on them both, and they were fine. I tried to go straight to bed, but Nick was thoughtful and taped my favorite shows so I stayed up and watched them with him (How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, and The New Adventures of Old Christine). I went to bed, then around 3am Spencer woke up crying this aweful cry. It was so different and strange I thought I was dreaming, until I realized it was real and RAN into his room. He was burning up, about to throw up, and he couldn't walk to the potty. Not good. So I gave him some medicine, took his temp (104.2), and prayed he wouldn't throw it up. He didn't. They both got in bed with us, and when I finally got back in bed I felt my daughter and realized she was burning up too (104). So gave her some medicine, and layed there awake, squished between 2 heaters, until about 5:30am, then woke up at 7.

So yea, not much sleep in a couple of days and I think I'm losing it. They're sitting next to me on the couch watching Blues Clues, neither one feeling any better, and I'm supposed to take my dad all over creation today (not really, just the mall, but still). I really should take them to the doctor, but it's hard when you have no insurance and they expect you to pay right then. And I don't have $200 for the dr. to tell me they have a cold and there's nothing he can do about it. Maybe the walk-in clinic in Cocoa Beach, it's supposed to be good, but I'm always afraid they'll end up sicker by being around all the other sick people. So I think I'll give it one more day and if it's not better tomorrow it's off to the dr. Plus, my sister will be with my dad so I won't have to worry about him.

That's about it for now, I need to take pics of the projects I've finished and post them, maybe at naptime. That is, if I can figure out how to post pics.

2 comments:

I'm Shannon said...

hope they are feeling better!

Ashley said...

my wife is the strongest women i know