Long time no blog

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since my last post. It seems like I've gone on some sort of internet diet this semester. I think it's because I didn't have any online classes this semester, so I had no real need to log in every day, and I just couldn't make myself come on more than once a week. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it wasn't great since my job at Labschool is to be the e-mail person for preschool and the parent leader for toddler, so it did pose a problem when important e-mails needed to go out and I didn't send them as soon as I should have. It is good in a lot of ways though, because when I come on the computer I tend to get "sucked in" - Nick says I enter computer world - and hours can pass without me realizing it. So that's one reason I'm glad I haven't been spending too much time online.

So, what have I been up to? Let's see, I just finished the spring semester and I will FINALLY possess some sort of degree - just an AA but hey, it's something to show for all the work I've been doing. And I managed to keep my 4.0 to the end, I had nightmares I would screw up in the final semester, but all was ok. Actually, my Economics professor said my average for the class ended up being 100% - woo hoo!! There was one final headache at the very end...my previously mentioned Eco professor called me and told me when she tried to input my grade, she found out I had been dropped for non-payment from both of my classes. I went to BCC the next day and was told by 2 advisors that I would either have to take them over, or go through an appeals process with the deans where I would have to get both of my teachers signatures along with the dept. chair and hopefully get reinstated back in my classes. After almost breaking down in tears, I went to the dean's secretary, and she asked my name, disappeared into a back office for a few minutes, and came out with a signature on my add/drop form. She asked if I was ready to pay and took me over to the cashiers office where I paid and got back in my classes. No signatures, no appeal, nothing. It turns out, they had been expecting me because my professor had been e-mailing everyone telling them to get me back in. Have I mentioned how much I love this teacher? I was so glad I was able to work out my schedule this semester so I could go during the day, mostly because I wanted her again (since I had her for macro), she is an awesome professor!

In other news, Lexi is graduating from Labschool this month and moving on to Kindergarten. I can't believe it, my baby is growing up. I have been dreading this transition for a couple of years now, it's going to be hard to leave the safety of Labschool and move on to PUBLIC SCHOOL...dun dun dun. Actually, we're really not going far, since all but one (and she's most likely going to get in also) of the 5-day class is going to the same school. I'm so glad I will be able to move on to a new school with the same network of support I have had for a few years now. These parents are truly awesome, and if I wouldn't have joined Labschool 4 years ago, I never would have met them. I truly grateful to the labschool program for allowing me to meet so many wonderful parents and friends.

I will still be in Labschool of course, because Spencer is moving up to the 3 day program. I am really excited for him, because I know he's going to have a blast. After 4 years of the toddler program, I am finally leaving it behind. It was sad for me this year to only register 1 child for Labschool instead of 2, it made me realize my days in this program are numbered. I know, I still have 2 years, but I am already dreading the day it's over. It almost makes me want to have another one...almost. However, we did have a scare here a little while ago that really made me realize how satisfied I am with both of my kids, and how happy I am to be leaving the baby stage behind and moving on to new experiences. It's not that I don't love babies, but I am finally at a point where the end of my school is in sight, where Nick and I can go away for a weekend knowing the kids are ok, where I can sleep through the night and be happy to get up in the morning, where I don't have to change diapers and make sure I'm not away for more than 3 hours at a time so I can feed the baby, where I can take medicine for a headache without worrying about the effect it will have on the baby. I have 2 perfect, adorable, wonderful children and while I will always cherish the time I had with them as babies, I am at peace knowing that that time in my life is over.

For the summer, my graduation present to myself was taking the whole summer off. I have been going to school every semester since Spencer was born, so I'm glad I will get to just chill out all summer with my family, not having to be anywhere at any certain time and just having fun. It turns out that was a really good decision, since it's possible that Nick might be gone for work for most or all of the summer. Don't feel too bad for him though, because he'll be in working in HAWAII! The company he works for is bidding on a job out there, and if they get it they'll be sending him. They say it will only take about 2 months, but that means at least 4...we know how this whole thing works. We'll found out in the next few days. It's not going to be fun for us, but at least the bulk of it will be during the summer when I don't have school, nightmeetings, etc to have to worry about finding babysitters for. We're going to get webcams and he will take my laptop so at least the kids will be able to see him and talk to him every night.

That's about it, I'll have a craft update soon, although sadly there's not much to report. Hopefully that will change over the summer.

Here's a few pics that I have in my flickr acct, I need to update that with more but I'm on the wrong computer right now.

Spencer before his haircut at Labschool:


One of Lexi's favorite pastimes, eating cheese at Grandma Dot's:

Spencer and my sister-in-law Miranda, giving eachother what appears to be the same look. Genetics?

0 comments: